Subject: Re: [RFC/PATCH 0/3] Teach revert/cherry-pick the --no-verify option

From: Fabian Ruch <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2014 23:05:28 +0200

Hi Johan,

Johan Herland writes:
> A colleague of mine noticed that cherry-pick does not accept the
> --no-verify option to skip running the pre-commit/commit-msg hooks.

neither git-cherry-pick nor git-revert execute the pre-commit or
commit-msg hooks at the moment. The underlying rationale can be found in
the log message of commit 9fa4db5 ("Do not verify
reverted/cherry-picked/rebased patches."). Indeed, the sequencer uses
git-commit internally which executes the two verify hooks by default.
However, the particular command line being used implicitly specifies the
--no-verify option. This behaviour is implemented in
sequencer.c#run_git_commit as well, right before the configurable
git-commit options are handled. I guess that's easily overlooked since
the documentation doesn't mention it and the implementation uses the
short version -n of --no-verify.

The reasons why the new test cases succeed nonetheless are manifold. I
hope they're still understandable even though I don't put the comments
next to the code.

The "revert with failing hook" test case fails if run in isolation,
which can be achieved by using the very cool --run option of test-lib.
More specifically, git-revert does not fail because it executes the
failing hook but because the preceding test case leaves behind an
uncommitted index.

In the "cherry-pick with failing hook" test case, git-cherry-pick really
fails because it doesn't know the --no-verify option yet, which
presumably ended up there only by accident. This test case is
meaningless if run in isolation because it assumes that "revert with
failing hook" creates a commit (else HEAD^ points nowhere).

I like your patchset for that it makes it explicit in both the
documentation and the tests whether the commits resulting from
cherry-picks are being verified or not.

Kind regards,
   Fabian

> Here's a first attempt at adding --no-verify to the revert/cherry-pick.
> 
> Have fun! :)
> 
> ...Johan
> 
> Johan Herland (3):
>   t7503/4: Add failing testcases for revert/cherry-pick --no-verify
>   revert/cherry-pick: Add --no-verify option, and pass it on to commit
>   revert/cherry-pick --no-verify: Update documentation
> 
>  Documentation/git-cherry-pick.txt |  4 ++++
>  Documentation/git-revert.txt      |  4 ++++
>  Documentation/githooks.txt        | 20 ++++++++++----------
>  builtin/revert.c                  |  1 +
>  sequencer.c                       |  7 +++++++
>  sequencer.h                       |  1 +
>  t/t7503-pre-commit-hook.sh        | 24 ++++++++++++++++++++++++
>  t/t7504-commit-msg-hook.sh        | 24 ++++++++++++++++++++++++
>  8 files changed, 75 insertions(+), 10 deletions(-)