Subject: Re: [PATCH v4 00/32] Lockfile correctness and refactoring

From: Michael Haggerty <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2014 13:13:16 +0200

On 09/10/2014 06:51 PM, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> [...]
> I am wondering if it makes sense to maintain a single ref that
> reaches all the commits in this shared object store repository,
> instead of keeping these millions of refs.  When you need to make
> more objects kept and reachable, create an octopus with the current
> tip and tips of all these refs that causes you to wish making these
> "more objects kept and reachable".  Obviously that won't work well
> if the reason why your current scheme uses refs is because you
> adjust individual refs to prune some objects---hence the first
> question in this message.

This is an interesting idea.

I wouldn't trust git to handle efficiently commits with thousands of
parents, but it would be easy to knit a huge number of tips together
using multiple layers of, say, 16-parent octopus merges.

Michael

-- 
Michael Haggerty
[email-masked]