Subject: Re: [RFC/PATCH] fsck: do not canonicalize modes in trees we are checking

From: Ben Aveling <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2014 23:40:22 +1100

On 16/10/14 11:20, Jeff King wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 10:46:19AM +1100, Ben Aveling wrote:
>
> I have a corrupt repository, and every time I run fsck, it
> reports one corrupt object, then stops.
> Corrupt how? Bit-corruption, or a malformed object?

Bit-corruption, in multiple places.

> If you have a non-corrupted version of the repository, the simplest 
> thing is to just pack it, copy the resulting packfile to the broken 
> repository (again, using "cp" or "rsync" and not git), and then repack 
> there. 

This seems to have worked. I also had to move away the existing .idx and 
copy in a new one before it was happy.

I'm not sure that what I've done is so different from simply copying the 
other version of the repository - there shouldn't have been anything in 
the corrupt version that wasn't also in the good one. But any rate, it 
worked.

Thanks, Ben