Subject: [PATCH] Show number of commits being rebased interactively

From: Onno Kortmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 17:32:19 +0100

Hi again,

oops, I realized that my MUA mangled the patch, even though it
shouldn't. Here it is again, with a bit more description.
---

During 'rebase -i', one wrong edit in a long rebase session might
inadvertently drop commits. This change shows the total number of
commits in the comments below the commit list. After the rebase
edit, the number can be quickly compared to the line number of
the last commit - by scrolling to the last entry in the rebase
TODO list. This gives peace of mind that no commits have been
lost in the edit.

Signed-off-by: Onno Kortmann <[email-masked]>
---
 git-rebase--interactive.sh | 4 +++-
 1 file changed, 3 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/git-rebase--interactive.sh b/git-rebase--interactive.sh
index b64dd28..b266dc0 100644
--- a/git-rebase--interactive.sh
+++ b/git-rebase--interactive.sh
@@ -1031,9 +1031,11 @@ test -s "$todo" || echo noop >> "$todo"
 test -n "$autosquash" && rearrange_squash "$todo"
 test -n "$cmd" && add_exec_commands "$todo"

+commitcount=$(git stripspace --strip-comments <"$todo"  | wc -l)
+
 cat >>"$todo" <<EOF

-$comment_char Rebase $shortrevisions onto $shortonto
+$comment_char Rebase $shortrevisions onto $shortonto ($commitcount commit(s))
 EOF
 append_todo_help
 git stripspace --comment-lines >>"$todo" <<\EOF
-- 
2.2.0.rc1.1.gbab0d06