Subject: Re: how to reduce disk usage for large .git dirs?

From: Jakub Narębski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2014 13:32:09 +0100

W dniu 2014-11-13 13:03, Olaf Hering pisze:
 > On Thu, Nov 13, Fredrik Gustafsson wrote:
[...]
>> Your setup looks familiar to me for a subversion user switching to git
>> and trying to use git as subversion. The common usecase is not to have
>> multiple worktrees but to do a checkout to the worktree you need to work
>> on. This is possible with git since it's very fast and I recommend you
>> to try to use one worktree.

> Switching branches will invalidate timestamps, causing a full rebuild.

Wouldn't a better way of solving "full rebuild" issue be to use ccache 
or similar solution?

Anyway, switching branches invalidates timestamps only on those files 
that change between branches -- it is to avoid unnecessary rebuilds.

You can always clone with --reference, and use alternates (alternate 
object store). Just don't delete objects in repository that other 
repositories borrow from; GitHub uses refs/borrowers/ namespace for 
that, IIRC.

HTH
-- 
Jakub Narębski