Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/2] git-am: add --message-id/--no-message-id options

From: Paolo Bonzini <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 20:16:18 +0100

On 25/11/2014 19:33, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>> > If both --message-id and -s are specified, the Signed-off-by goes
>> > last.  This is coming out more or less naturally out of the git-am
>> > implementation, but is also tested in t4150-am.sh.
> Nice.  So if you apply a message whose last sign-off is yourself
> with both of these options, what would we see?
> 
>     1. S-o-b: you and then M-id: and then another S-o-b: you?
>     2. M-id: and then S-o-b: you?
>     3. S-o-b: you and then M-id:?
> 
> I do not offhand know which one of the above possibilities to favor
> more over others myself.  Just asking to find out more about the
> thinking behind the design.

You currently get (1), which is arguably the most precise but definitely
the ugliest.

In this case (posting as maintainer), I would probably not use "git am
--message-id"; instead I would use an alias to add the Message-Id (with
git interpret-trailers!) after posting to the mailing list, resulting in
either (2) or (3).

I think (but I am not sure) that git-am could use a hook to rewrite (1)
into (2) or (3).

Paolo