Subject: Re: Force git submodule update --remote for some branches

From: Jens Lehmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2014 15:52:32 +0100

Am 28.11.2014 um 18:54 schrieb Timothy M. Redaelli:
> I have a repository with a submodule and I'd like to force git to
> checkout the LAST version of the submodule and not the stored one (like
> git submodule update --remote), but only on some branches and without
> the need to remember to add --remote every time you are on this branch.
>
> Is there any way to do it? Maybe using .gitmodules?

Not yet.

But yes, .gitmodules would be the right place to put such a
configuration as then it would be per submodule and also per
(superproject-)branch.

By the way, what do you think the output of git status and
git diff should look like when you updated a submodule to
its branch tip which differs from the commit recorded in
the superproject? Should these changes be displayed or not?
And only if the new tip is a fast-forward of the old or
always?