Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] git-config support for diff.relative setting

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2014 14:41:53 -0500

> "Philip Oakley" <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Shouldn't this `(identical to "git diff --relative")` also be
>included in the documentation change? It would truly clarify the
> intenbt for the reader.

Updated as follows:
+diff.relative::
+	Show pathnames relative to the current directory and exclude
+	changes outside this directory; equivalent to the 'git diff'
+	option '--relative'.

> "Junio C Hamano" <[email-masked]> wrote:
> There should be a way to run non-relative diff in a repository that
> has the configuration set, perhaps by overriding with some command
> line option (e.g. "--no-relative").

Good idea; I'll put together a second patch for a "--no-relative" option 
to disable diff.relative.

-----Original Message-----
From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Sent: 12/20/2014 09:58 PM
To: Philip Oakley <[email-masked]>
CC: <[email-masked]>,  "Git Mailing List" <[email-masked]>, 
  "Duy Nguyen" <[email-masked]>,  "Jonathan Nieder" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] git-config support for diff.relative setting

"Philip Oakley" <[email-masked]> writes:
> From: <[email-masked]>
>> By default, git-diff shows changes and pathnames relative to the
>> repository root. Setting the diff.relative config option to "true"
>> shows pathnames relative to the current directory and excludes
>> changes outside this directory (identical to "git diff --relative").
> Shouldn't this `(identical to "git diff --relative")` also be included
> in the documentation change? It would truly clarify the intenbt for
> the reader.

A configuration that sticks a non-default behaviour without a way to
revert to the default is a no-no.

There should be a way to run non-relative diff in a repository that
has the configuration set, perhaps by overriding with some command
line option (e.g. "--no-relative").