Subject: Re: [PATCH 3/3] git-checkout.txt: a note about multiple checkout support for submodules

From: Mark Levedahl <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2015 22:43:39 -0500

On 01/03/2015 04:41 AM, Nguyễn Thái Ngọc Duy wrote:
> The goal seems to be using multiple checkouts to reduce disk space.
> But we have not reached an agreement how things should be. There are a
> couple options.
>
>   - You may want to keep $SUB repos elsewhere (perhaps in a central
>     place) outside $SUPER. This is also true for nested submodules
>     where a superproject may be a submodule of another superproject.
>
>
This is my preference: I keep a tree of bare git repos outside of all 
work areas, and use new-workdir to create trees of workdirs as needed. I 
explored trying to keep $SUB repos in others (including mods to 
submodule / new-workdir to manage this), found this really leads to too 
much complication compared to just having a set of bare repos elsewhere. 
This bare repo approach also has the advantage that no particular 
workdir is special, all workdirs that point to the same gitdir are equal.

Mark