Subject: Git messes up 'ø' character

From: Noralf Trønnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 20:46:21 +0100

I can't get my name: Noralf Trønnes, to come out correctly when I
format and send a patch. The 'ø' becomes a question mark when received
in my email client.

This is the head of the patch file generated by git format-patch:

 From b2a4f6abdb097c4dc092b56995a2af8e42fbea79 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: =?UTF-8?q?Noralf=20Tr=F8nnes?= <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 18:34:47 +0100
Subject: [PATCH] staging: fbtft: remove ARCH_BCM2708 optimization
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

ARCH_BCM2708 is not present in mainline so remove optimization.

Signed-off-by: Noralf Trønnes <[email-masked]>
---

$ git log -1
commit b2a4f6abdb097c4dc092b56995a2af8e42fbea79
Author: Noralf Tr<F8>nnes <[email-masked]>
Date:   Tue Jan 20 18:34:47 2015 +0100

     staging: fbtft: remove ARCH_BCM2708 optimization

     ARCH_BCM2708 is not present in mainline so remove optimization.

     Signed-off-by: Noralf Tr<F8>nnes <[email-masked]>

$ git send-email --to [email-masked] 
0001-staging-fbtft-remove-ARCH_BCM2708-optimization.patch
0001-staging-fbtft-remove-ARCH_BCM2708-optimization.patch
(mbox) Adding cc: =?UTF-8?q?Noralf=20Tr=F8nnes?= <[email-masked]> 
from line 'From: =?UTF-8?q?Noralf=20Tr=F8nnes?= <[email-masked]>'
(body) Adding cc: Noralf Trønnes <[email-masked]> from line 
'Signed-off-by: Noralf Trønnes <[email-masked]>'

From: =?UTF-8?q?Noralf=20Tr=F8nnes?= <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [PATCH] staging: fbtft: remove ARCH_BCM2708 optimization
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 20:25:24 +0100
Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
X-Mailer: git-send-email 2.2.2
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

     The Cc list above has been expanded by additional
     addresses found in the patch commit message. By default
     send-email prompts before sending whenever this occurs.
     This behavior is controlled by the sendemail.confirm
     configuration setting.

     For additional information, run 'git send-email --help'.
     To retain the current behavior, but squelch this message,
     run 'git config --global sendemail.confirm auto'.

Send this email? ([y]es|[n]o|[q]uit|[a]ll): y
OK. Log says:
Server: smtp.ebnett.no
MAIL FROM:<[email-masked]>
RCPT TO:<[email-masked]>
From: =?UTF-8?q?Noralf=20Tr=F8nnes?= <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [PATCH] staging: fbtft: remove ARCH_BCM2708 optimization
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 20:44:15 +0100
Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
X-Mailer: git-send-email 2.2.2
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Result: 250 2.0.0 Ok: queued as B49BB8014D

Setup:

Ubuntu server
$ cat /etc/issue
Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS \n \l

$ git --version
git version 2.2.2

$ git config -l
user.name=Noralf Trønnes
user.email=[email-masked]
core.editor=nano
alias.serve=daemon --verbose --export-all --base-path=/home/pi --reuseaddr
sendemail.smtpserver=smtp.ebnett.no
core.repositoryformatversion=0
core.filemode=true
core.bare=false
core.logallrefupdates=true
remote.origin.fetch=+refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/origin/*
remote.origin.url=git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/gregkh/staging.git
branch.master.remote=origin
branch.master.merge=refs/heads/master
branch.staging-testing.remote=origin
branch.staging-testing.merge=refs/heads/staging-testing

Regards,
Noralf Trønnes