Subject: [PATCH 0/3] Win32: nanosecond-precision file times

From: Karsten Blees <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2015 00:49:57 +0100

This patch series was inspired by the problem that Git does not
detect changed file content if st_size, st_mtime and st_ctime
are unchanged. This was apparently caused by VSS2Git resetting
mtime to a value in the past. [1]

I believe (or rather hope) that all involved in the discussion
agree that Git cannot reasonably be expected to detect changed
file content if file time(s) are reset on purpose.

However, some users have expressed concerns that 'same size and
mtime' [2] may theoretically happen by chance in daily operation.

This patch series adopts POSIX 2013 'struct timespec' file times
to make this practically impossible, at least on NTFS with 100ns
file time resolution.

Cheers,
Karsten

[1] https://github.com/msysgit/git/issues/312
[2] Note that st_ctime of a file never changes on Windows, as it
    means 'creation time' rather than 'change status time'.

Karsten Blees (3):
  Win32: make FILETIME conversion functions public
  Win32: replace MSVCRT's fstat() with a Win32-based implementation
  Win32: implement nanosecond-precision file times

 compat/mingw.c   | 56 +++++++++++++++++++++++++-------------------------------
 compat/mingw.h   | 55 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++----------
 config.mak.uname |  4 ++--
 3 files changed, 72 insertions(+), 43 deletions(-)

-- 
2.3.0.3.ge7778af

-- 
-- 
*** Please reply-to-all at all times ***
*** (do not pretend to know who is subscribed and who is not) ***
*** Please avoid top-posting. ***
The msysGit Wiki is here: https://github.com/msysgit/msysgit/wiki - Github accounts are free.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "msysGit" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email-masked]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
[email-masked]
For more options, and view previous threads, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/msysgit?hl=en_US?hl=en

--- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Git for Windows" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email-masked].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.