Subject: Re: Experience with Recovering From User Error (And suggestions for improvements)

From: Armin Ronacher <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2015 14:29:19 +0100

Hi,

On 16/02/15 13:09, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:
> We should definitely make recovery like this harder, but is there a
> reason for why you don't use "git reset --keep" instead of --hard?
This was only the second time in years of git usage that the reset was 
incorrectly done.  I suppose at this point I might try to retrain my 
muscle memory to type something else :)

> If we created such hooks for "git reset --hard" we'd just need to
> expose some other thing as that low-level operation (and break scripts
> that already rely on it doing the minimal "yes I want to change the
> tree no matter what" thing), and then we'd just be back to square one
> in a few years when users started using "git reset --really-hard" (or
> whatever the flag would be).
I don't think that's necessary, I don't think it would make the 
operation much slower to just make a dangling commit and write out a few 
blobs.  The garbage collect will soon enough take care of that data 
anyways.  But I guess that would need testing on large trees to see how 
bad that goes.

I might look into the git undo thing that was mentioned.

Regards,
Armin