Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/3] request-pull: do something if $3 is passed

From: Paolo Bonzini <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 21:53:21 +0100

On 17/02/2015 21:42, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>   "when $3 is not passed git will try to use "HEAD" as the default but
> it cannot be resolved to a tag, neither locally (patch 2) nor remotely
> (patch 3)"
> 
> which makes absolutely no sense.

Indeed, that's why I wrote patches even though I did find the patches
that you wrote for 2.0.

Without $3, git tries to do things that make no sense like "git show-ref
--heads --tags HEAD"; or that make little sense when requesting a pull,
like looking for HEAD in the output of "git ls-remote".  But from the
release notes of 2.0 it looks like it's intended and the script is just
taking shortcuts.

> HEAD is not a tag. Never has been, never will be. If you want me to
> pull a tag, then you damn well should say what tag you want, not just
> randomly say HEAD.

Ok, in 1.9.x I used to not say anything; if the new workflow is to
always specify a tag, that's okay.

> So what is it you want to do? At no point is "HEAD should resolve as a
> tag" sensible.

I wanted git to find the matching tag on the remote side when I use "git
request-pull origin/master URL" with no third parameter, since I never
request pulls except with a single signed tag.  But I'll adjust my aliases.

Paolo