Subject: [RFC] git cat-file "literally" option

From: karthik nayak <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 15:09:35 +0530

Hey,
After reading http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/256878
I have started working on the git cat file --literally option.

I'm wondering if I should implement it as an add on to the existing options,
wherein we could say "git cat-file (t | -s | -e | -p | <type> | 
--texconv) --literally <object>"
so that it would be able to print the required data literally or should 
I implement it such that
we could say "git cat-file (-t | -s | -e | -p | <type> | --texconv | 
--literally) <object>"
so it would just give all information about the given object. (Maybe 
like the -p option?)

For example :
if  I create a bogus object like

git hash-object -t bogus --literally -w --stdin </dev/null

Should I implement
git cat-file -t --literally 49993fe130c4b3bf24857a15d7969c396b7bc187
or should I implement
git cat-file --literally 49993fe130c4b3bf24857a15d7969c396b7bc187
To get information pertaining to the object "bogus:.

What do you people think?
Thanks
-Karthik