Subject: Surprising interaction of "binary" and "eol" gitattributes

From: Michael Haggerty <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2015 17:38:28 +0100

I would expect that the following .gitattributes file

    *       eol=crlf
    *.png   -text

would leave EOL translation turned off for PNG files. In other words, I
would expect that explicitly setting "-text" would take precedence over
the fact that setting "eol" implies that a file should be considered to
be "text".

I would even more strongly expect

    *       eol=crlf
    *.png   binary

to turn off EOL translation for PNG files.

But in fact, in both of the above cases, EOL translation is turned *on*
for PNG files.

I propose that "-text" should override any setting for "eol" (which
would of course fix both problems, since "binary" is equivalent to
"-diff -merge -text"). What do people think?

Michael

-- 
Michael Haggerty
[email-masked]