Subject: Re: [PATCH] xmerge.c: fix xdl_merge to conform with the manual

From: Anton Trunov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2015 11:02:45 +0300

On 04/03/15 23:01, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> [] 

My apologies for pushing this topic, but what would you recommend?
Should we treat both sides line-wise or should we correct the documentation?

Current version for git help merge:

...
ignore-space-change, ignore-all-space, ignore-space-at-eol
    Treats lines with the indicated type of whitespace change as
unchanged for the sake of a three-way merge. Whitespace
    changes mixed with other changes to a line are not ignored. See also
git-diff(1)-b, -w, and --ignore-space-at-eol.

    o   If their version only introduces whitespace changes to a line,
our version is used;

    o   If our version introduces whitespace changes but their version
includes a substantial change, their version is used;

    o   Otherwise, the merge proceeds in the usual way.
...

The 1st bullet point could be changed into
    o   If their version only introduces whitespace changes to *all
changed lines*, our version is used;

And the 2nd one into:
    o   If our version only introduces whitespace changes to all changed
lines, but their version includes at least one substantially changed
line, all lines from their version are used;