Subject: Re: Why is "git fetch --prune" so much slower than "git remote prune"?

From: Michael Haggerty <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2015 15:49:08 +0100

On 03/06/2015 11:59 PM, Jeff King wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 06, 2015 at 05:48:39PM +0100, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:
> 
>> The --prune option to fetch added in v1.6.5-8-gf360d84 seems to be
>> around 20-30x slower than the equivalent operation with git remote
>> prune. I'm wondering if I'm missing something and fetch does something
>> more, but it doesn't seem so.
> 
> [...]
> We spend a lot of time checking refs here. Probably this comes from
> writing the `packed-refs` file out 1000 times in your example, because
> fetch handles each ref individually. Whereas since c9e768b (remote:
> repack packed-refs once when deleting multiple refs, 2014-05-23),
> git-remote does it in one pass.
> 
> Now that we have ref_transaction_*, I think if git-fetch fed all of the
> deletes (along with the updates) into a single transaction, we would get
> the same optimization for free. Maybe that is even part of some of the
> pending ref_transaction work from Stefan or Michael (both cc'd). I
> haven't kept up very well with what is cooking in pu.

I am looking into this now.

For pruning, we can't use a ref_transaction as it is currently
implemented because it would fail if any of the reference deletions
failed. But in this case I think if any deletions fail, we would prefer
to emit a warning but keep going.

I'm trying to decide whether to have a separate function in the refs API
to "delete as many of the following refs as possible", or whether to add
a flag to ref_transaction_update() that says "try this update, but don't
fail the transaction if it fails". The latter would probably be more
work because we would need to invent a way to return multiple error
messages from a single transaction.

Michael

-- 
Michael Haggerty
[email-masked]