Subject: Re: [PATCH, RFC] checkout: Attempt to checkout submodules

From: Jens Lehmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 21:16:21 +0100

Am 24.03.2015 um 19:30 schrieb Trevor Saunders:
> On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 09:01:48PM +0100, Jens Lehmann wrote:
>> Using -f here is ok when you extend the appropriate verify functions
>> in unpack-trees.c to check that no modifications will be lost (unless
>> the original checkout is used with -f). See the commit 76dbdd62
>> ("submodule: teach unpack_trees() to update submodules") in my github
>> repo at https://github.com/jlehmann/git-submod-enhancements for
>> the basic concept (There is already a fixup! for that a bit further
>> down the branch which handles submodule to file conversion, maybe one
>> or two other changes will be needed when the test suite covers all
>> relevant cases).
>
> ah, I see your already working a more complete solution to this sort of
> issue.  I'll get out of your way then unless you want help.

Help would be very much appreciated. I'm currently separating teaching
the builtin commands to recursively update submodules from my branch to
submit these changes first. The reason for that is not only that there
are current efforts to make pull and am builtin commands, but that we
need an extension to git diff for the scripted commands to work. If you
could help implementing "--ignore-submodules=noupdate" (which would only
ignore changes to those submodules that are not going to be updated)
while I'm working on the builtin commands, that would help a lot. This
would enable the scripted commands (e.g. rebase) to not ignore changes
to submodules that are supposed to be updated (like they still do in
the current version of my branch). And another pair of eyes on code and
tests would also be very good to have.