Subject: Re: Clone from shallow bundle bug

From: Phillip Susi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2015 21:26:50 -0400

On 04/01/2015 08:33 PM, Duy Nguyen wrote:
> OK two additional options on top of what we already have:
> 
> - save .have and add extra prerequisite SHA-1. - create a bundle
> that does not hit shallow boundary in the first place, roughly
> speaking it's "max depth minus one". This one does not have extra
> .have or prerequisites

Huh?  If it is one less deep that doesn't help: the new clone will
still be missing history.  AFAICS, the only way to keep the new clone
kosher is for it to have a .git/shallow file that identifies it as a
shallow clone so that history walks stop short instead of complaining
about the missing history.

Thus, all that is needed is for the clone, when it notices that
history is missing, is to create the shallow file instead of erroring
out, telling you to fsck yourself, and rudely deleting the new clone.
 It is one thing to tell you that there is missing history, but quite
another to delete the repository it just created due to it missing
history.