Subject: Re: git-p4 Question

From: Luke Diamand <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2015 20:26:53 +0100

On 20/04/15 17:41, FusionX86 wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Hopefully this is an appropriate place to ask questions about git-p4.
>
> I started at a company that wants to migrate from Perforce to Git. I'm
> new to Perforce and have been trying to learn just enough about it to
> get through this migration. Anyway, I've been playing with git-p4 and
> have one question/problem to discuss.
>
> After setting up the p4 cli client I can 'p4 sync' some
> //depot/main/app1 which pulls down the files I would expect from the
> Perforce server. If I use 'git p4 clone //depot/main/app1', I get:
>
> "Doing initial import of //depot/main/app1/ from revision #head into
> refs/remotes/p4/master"
>
> But I don't get any files from that depot/folder pulled down. I can
> git p4 clone other depot/folders though and get some files. I suspect
> that I'm just not understanding how the git-p4 module works.

You could try doing the clone with '-v' to get a bit more information.

>
> Basically, I'm hoping to setup a live sync of Perforce to Git of
> certain depots in preparation for the migration. Also, if anyone has
> pointers or guides for this type of migration, any help is
> appreciated.

I've done something similar in the past. You'll want to enable the 
--preserve-user option, for which you will need admin rights.

If it's a one-way mirror (p4-to-git) then just run git-p4 periodically 
(if you use cron, then try to avoid having two or more instances running 
at the same time).

If you want it to be two-way then it gets a bit more complicated.

You might also want to consider using git fusion, which is Perforce's 
take on this problem. I've not used it myself.

 From past experience though I would say the biggest problem is getting 
developers to switch from the P4 mindset (centralized; code review hard 
to do or ignored) to the git mindset (decentralized; code review 
actively supported by the version control system).

> --
> To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe git" in
> the body of a message to [email-masked]
> More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
>