Subject: Re: Why does "git log -G<regex>" works with "regexp-ignore-case" but not with other regexp-related options?

From: Michael J Gruber <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 11:08:27 +0200

Junio C Hamano venit, vidit, dixit 21.04.2015 18:59:
> Michael J Gruber <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>> We have engine-switching options and engine-modification options. The
>> latter are certainly good in the expression itself. Maybe even the
>> former, though I don't know how to switch away from fixed-strings in
>> that way...
> 
> I do not think mixing matching engines in a single request makes
> much sense. As the internal machinery is not even prepared to do
> that, even though it is prepared to apply engine-modifications ones
> to each grep term AFAIK, let's not go there.
> 

>>From a user perspective, we mix engines already: fixed strings for -S,
regexp for the rest (by default). The user can switch one, but not the
other. And there are options that modify both engines at the same time.
That is the kind of confusion that (triggered OP's request and that) I
would like to resolve.

Michael