Subject: Re: [PATCH] fast-import: add options to enable/disable case folding

From: Luke Diamand <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2015 10:42:14 +0100

On 18/04/15 08:36, Mike Hommey wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 11:44:00AM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>> So perhaps we should rip the case folding out altogether instead?
>> The entry for the change in the Release Notes may say:
>>
>>   * "git fast-import" incorrectly case-folded the paths recorded in
>>     the history when core.ignorease is set (i.e. the repository's
>>     working tree is incapable of expressing paths that differ only in
>>     their cases); this old bug was reported in 2012 and was finally
>>     corrected.
>>
>> or something like that?
>
> Is anything else then git-p4 known to rely on case folding? If not, I
> guess that's a reasonable plan. We could even add an option to
> fast-import that would allow to turn case folding back on, and make
> git-p4 use it, so that its expectations are fulfilled. Although at some
> point, it could (should?) do case folding itself(?)

git-p4 has a single line of code that checks if core.ignorecase is 
turned on, and uses this to decide whether to skip files that are 
outside the depot being tracked and I *think* is not really related to 
fast-import.

I don't know to what extent though git-p4 relies on the current 
behaviour of git fast-import to fold case for it.

There's a 'p4 info' command which tells you what the server thinks it's 
doing:

$ p4 info | grep Case
Case Handling: sensitive

I don't know how long that support has been present (it might not work 
on older servers that some people are still using).

It's also possible to force the server to be case-insensitive on the 
Linux version. That's useful, as it we could construct some test cases 
to see what we're likely to break without having to force people to 
install a case-insensitive OS in order to run the git regression tests.

Luke

>
> Mike
> --
> To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe git" in
> the body of a message to [email-masked]
> More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
>