Subject: Re: RFC: git cat-file --follow-symlinks?

From: Michael Haggerty <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2015 10:12:04 +0200

On 04/30/2015 07:34 AM, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> [...]
> But stepping back a bit.
> 
> We have been talking about HEAD^{resolve}:fleem but how did we learn
> that there is a path "fleem" in the tree of HEAD in the first place?
> I would presume that the answer eventually boils down to "somebody
> fed HEAD to 'ls-tree -r'", and then that somebody is an idiot if it
> did not grab the mode bits to learn what kind of blob fleem is, or
> if it did not tell the guy that wants to drive "cat-file --batch".

I think a plausible use case for this feature is to read
`$tag^{resolve}:RelNotes`, in which case the reason we know it's there
is "because the maintainer told us it is there".

Michael

-- 
Michael Haggerty
[email-masked]