Subject: Re: Git Server Repository Security?

From: Sitaram Chamarty <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2015 06:11:44 +0530

On 05/18/2015 04:28 PM, John McIntyre wrote:
> 2015-05-18 11:26 GMT+01:00 Heiko Voigt <[email-masked]>:

>> If you want a simple tool using ssh-keys have a look at gitolite[1].
>> It quite simple to setup and with it you can specify all kinds of access
>> rights.
> 
> That's adding a separate level of complexity.
> 
> I looked into filesystem-level permissions.  I don't see any means of
> doing so, because everyone accesses the repositories using the 'git'
> user.  So even if I add a group like 'devClient1' and then change the
> group ownership of a repo to that user, they'll still be able to
> access all repos..?

My usual answer to this is http://gitolite.com/gitolite/overview.html#basic-use-case

The first example is doable with file system permissions if you give
everyone a separate userid, but it's a nightmare.  The second one is not
even possible.