Subject: git-p4: test t9820-git-p4-editor-handling.sh failing

From: Luke Diamand <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2015 07:40:55 +0100

Hi!

The test I put in recently for multi-word editor handling in git-p4, 
t9820-git-p4-editor-handling.sh, has started failing.

It looks like the reason is the change to it that goes:

-	P4EDITOR="touch \"$git/touched\"" git p4 submit &&
+	P4EDITOR=": >\"$git/touched\"" git p4 submit &&

The problem is that git-p4 invokes $P4EDITOR passing it the name of the 
submit template. After it returns, it checks that the editor has 
actually updated the file's modification time.

The first version (somewhat subtly) does this; the second doesn't.

I put the extra check with "$git/touched" in just to check that P4EDITOR 
was being invoked at all, but I guess it's not strictly necessary. I 
wondered about doing this:

+	P4EDITOR=": >\"$git/touched\" && touch" git p4 submit &&

But it's possibly getting a bit obscure. I guess it could be OK with a 
comment.

Could it go back to the original version, or is there some other way to 
achieve a similar effect?

Thanks!
Luke