Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/5] Fix verify_lock() to report errors via strbuf

From: Michael Haggerty <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 May 2015 13:59:42 +0200

On 05/23/2015 01:34 AM, Michael Haggerty wrote:
> verify_lock() is a helper function called while committing reference
> transactions. But when it fails, instead of recording its error
> message in a strbuf to be passed back to the caller of
> ref_transaction_commit(), the error message was being written directly
> to stderr.
> 
> Instead, report the errors via a strbuf so that they make it back to
> the caller of ref_transaction_commit().
> 
> [...]
> 
> This is the patch series that I mentioned here [1]. It applies on top
> of mh/ref-directory-file [2] and is thematically a continuation of
> that series in the sense that it further cleans up the error handling
> within reference transactions. It would be easy to rebase to master if
> that is preferred.

The last sentence is nonsense. This patch series relies on
lock_ref_sha1_basic() having a "strbuf *err" parameter, which is only
the case since

    4a32b2e lock_ref_sha1_basic(): report errors via a "struct strbuf
*err" (2015-05-11)

The latter commit is in mh/ref-directory-file (which has now been merged
to master, so technically the last sentence is now correct again).

Sorry for the confusion.
Michael

-- 
Michael Haggerty
[email-masked]