Subject: Re: Staging commits with visual diff tools?

From: Michael J Gruber <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 May 2015 11:57:44 +0200

John Lee venit, vidit, dixit 27.05.2015 09:34:
> On Wed, 27 May 2015, Jeff King wrote:
> 
>> If you are interested in looking further, see how the %patch_mode hash
>> is defined in git-add--interactive.perl. Specifically, note that "add
>> -p" is just one case: diff against the index and apply with "apply
>> --cached". But once you have a separate tool for picking hunks, you
>> should be able to drop in the different DIFF/APPLY pairs to implement
>> "checkout -p", etc.
> 
> My plan was to use symlinks, checkout-index, and update-index 
> --index-info, similar to how difftool does it.  I verified on the command 
> line that that seems to work.
> 
> 
> John
> 

Yes, having "git addtool" (or "stagetool") to go with difftool and merge
tool would be nice, and it could hopefully resuse code or infrastructure
from those tools, as well as the tool config.

I vaguely remember a sketch or proof-of-concept by Jeff (not reusing
*tool) but may be wrong.

Michael