Subject: Re: [WIP/PATCH v4 8/8] ref-filter: add 'ref-filter.h'

From: Karthik Nayak <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 May 2015 13:49:24 +0530

On 05/31/2015 09:13 AM, Eric Sunshine wrote:
> On Sat, May 30, 2015 at 1:53 PM, Karthik Nayak <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Create 'ref-filter.h', also add ref-filter to the Makefile.
>> This completes movement of creation of 'ref-filter' from
>> 'for-each-ref'.
>
> It's important that the project can be built successfully and function
> correctly at each stage of a patch series. Unfortunately, the way this
> series is organized, the build breaks after application of patch 7/8
> since for-each-ref.c is trying to access functionality which was moved
> to ref-filter.c, but there is no header at that stage which advertises
> the functionality. Fixing this may be as simple as swapping patches
> 7/8 and 8/8, along with whatever minor adjustments they might need to
> keep them sane. (The alternative would be to combine patches 7/8 and
> 8/8, however, Matthieu didn't seem to favor that approach[1].)
>
> Overall, this round has been a more pleasant read than previous rounds.
>
> [1]: http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/270192
>

That is kind of a problem, If I need to swap those commits also, I'd 
have to add the part where ref-filter is added to the Makefile with the 
code movement from for-each-ref to ref-filter. This again will not just 
be Code movement.

But I guess thats a fair trade-off, will change it. Thanks

-- 
Regards,
Karthik