Subject: Re: git-repack keeps running out of memory

From: Phil Susi <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2015 15:07:16 -0400

On 6/1/2015 2:43 PM, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Phil Susi <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> I keep having git-repack run out of virtual memory ( 32 bit system )
>> when trying to repack my linux kernel repo.  It keeps making it right
>> up to 99% then barfing saying mmap failed: Cannot allocate memory.
>>
>> I thought I could help this by limiting the pack size, and using
>> --window-memory to limit the memory usage, but it still happens with
>> this full command line:
>>
>> git repack -a -d --max-pack-size=500m -f -F --depth=20 --window=250
>> --window-memory=500m
>>
>> The key factor seems to be the --window... with 50 it works fine, but
>> with 100 or more, even with the very low --window-memory limit, it
>> crashes.
>
> Unfortunately, that is totally expected.  Window tells us to keep
> enough information to compare with that many objects in-core.  I do
> not think max-pack-size would affect much.

It's more the --window-memory argument that is important here: it is 
supposed to prevent exactly this problem.  I guess I tried adding the 
--max-pack-size as well on the off chance that it would help.