Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/2] fsck: report errors if reflog entries point at invalid objects

From: Michael Haggerty <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2015 17:09:48 +0200

On 06/08/2015 04:27 PM, Johannes Schindelin wrote:
> On 2015-06-08 08:40, Michael Haggerty wrote:
>> Previously, if a reflog entry's old or new SHA-1 was not resolvable
>> to an object, that SHA-1 was silently ignored. Instead, report such
>> cases as errors.
> 
> I like the idea, but I am a bit uncertain whether it would constitute
> "too backwards-incompatible" a change to make this an error. I think
> it could be argued both ways: it *is* an improvement, but it could
> also possibly disrupt scripts that work pretty nicely at the moment.

What kind of script are you worried about? One that mucks around inside
the object database / reflog files? If people do that, all bets are off,
no? Plus,

* This change only causes fsck to output an extra line (and exit with
  a a non-zero retcode).

* Repair is only a

      git reflog expire --expire-unreachable=now --all

  away, I think.

> [...]

Michael

-- 
Michael Haggerty
[email-masked]