Subject: Re: Submodules as first class citizens (was Re: Moving to subtrees for plugins?)

From: Jens Lehmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2015 20:40:14 +0200

Am 07.06.2015 um 08:26 schrieb Stefan Beller:
> On 06.06.2015 12:53, Luca Milanesio wrote:
>>> On 6 Jun 2015, at 18:49, Phil Hord <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>> On Fri, Jun 5, 2015, 2:58 AM lucamilanesio <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>>> Ideally, as a "git clone --recursive" already exists, I would like to
>>>> see a "git diff --recursive" that goes through the submodules as well :-)
>>>>
>>>> Something possibly to propose to the Git mailing list?

Such an option makes lots of sense to me (though "--recurse-submodules"
should be its name for consistency reasons). This could be an alias for
"--submodule=full", as the "--submodule" option controls the format of
submodule diffs.

>>> I've worked on git diff --recursive a bit myself, along with some
>>> simpler use cases (git ls-tree --recursive) as POCs. I think some of
>>> the needs there begin to have ui implications which could be
>>> high-friction. I really want to finish it someday, but I've been too
>>> busy lately at $job, and now my experiments are all rather stale.
>>>
>>> It would be a good discussion to have over at the git list (copied).
>>> Heiko and Jens have laid some new groundwork in this area and it may
>>> be a good time to revisit it.  Or maybe they've even moved deeper than
>>> that; I have been distracted for well over a year now.
>>>
>
> Glad you're working (or planning to) working on submodulues. This is
> also on my todo list for the next months as well.

More hands are always welcome!

> I'd review stuff in that area if you're looking for reviewers.

I'll be happy help too.