Subject: Re: Visualizing merge conflicts after the fact (using kdiff3)

From: Michael J Gruber <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2015 10:34:23 +0200

Junio C Hamano venit, vidit, dixit 18.06.2015 17:57:
> Michael J Gruber <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>> This type of request comes up often (for a reason). I'm wondering
>> whether we could support it more systematically, either by exposing the
>> steps above as a command, or by storing the unresolved merge somewhere
>> (leveraging stash or rerere).
> 
> Perhaps 'tr/remerge-diff' (on 'pu') is of interest?
> 

Ingenious!

To me, this seems to be the most useful view if you want to understand a
merge just from the parents and the merge commit. Since you would use
that for individual commits only, the cpu cycles are well spent.

As and added benefit, tr/remerge-diff merges to current next with
conflicts (oid...) so that you get to test it on its own merge!

I haven't reviewed remerge-diff but merged it on top of my own local
additions and ran the full test suite successfully. Any big blocker to
watch out for?

Michael