Subject: Re: git name-rev not accepting abbreviated SHA with --stdin

From: Sitaram Chamarty <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2015 06:56:54 +0530

On 07/03/2015 11:06 PM, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Sitaram Chamarty <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>> On 06/25/2015 05:41 AM, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>>> Sitaram Chamarty <[email-masked]> writes:
>>>
>>>> This *is* documented, but I'm curious why this distinction is made.
>>>
>>> I think it is from mere laziness, and also in a smaller degree
>>> coming from an expectation that --stdin would be fed by another
>>> script like rev-list where feeding full 40-hex is less work than
>>> feeding unique abbreviated prefix.
>>
>> Makes sense; thanks.  Maybe if I feel really adventurous I will,
>> one day, look at the code :-)
> 
> Sorry, but I suspect this is not 100% laziness; it is meant to read
> text that has object names sprinkled in and output text with object
> names substituted.  I suspect that this was done to prevent a short
> string that may look like an object name like deadbabe from getting
> converted into an unrelated commit object name.

As a perl programmer, laziness is much more palatable to me as a reason
;-)

Jokes apart, I'm not sure the chances of *both* those things happening
-- an accidental hash-like string in the text *and* it matching an
existing hash -- are high enough to bother.  If it can be done without
too much code, it probably should.