Subject: Re: wishlist: make it possible to amend commit messages after push to remote

From: Jarkko Hietaniemi <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Aug 2015 18:50:52 -0400

On Friday-201508-07 15:38, Johannes Schindelin wrote:
> Speaking for myself, I actually like it that the entire metadata is part of the commit object, even the commit message. It makes the whole thing more reliable: one cannot claim that the commit does one thing on one day, and the next day all of a sudden claim that the commit does something completely different. Git's just really consistent the way it is.

Not that I expect anything to change.. but I'd like to point out again 
that I wasn't wishlisting "overwrite/replace/demolish the old commit
message".  More like a chain (hopefully of length one, but I canot
spll wuth a dam) of the messages, git log then showing the latest of 
them, but allowing accessing earlier ones.

Or another way to illustrate my idea: assume a create-once-no-delete
filesystem.

echo 42 > the_answr.txt

Oh, darn it...

ln -s the_answr.txt the_answer.txt

Now both names still point to the content "42\n".  The first SHA
would be over ["42\n", "the_answr.txt"] and the second SHA over
["42\n", "the_answer.txt"].

But I get the distinct feeling of beating a poor dead horse here,
so I'll shut up.