Subject: can't install on OS X

From: Spencer Graves <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2015 01:50:30 -0500

What's the procedure for installing Git under OS X 10.11?

I downloaded "git-2.5.3-intel-universal-mavericks.dmg" per 
instructions.  When I tried to install it, I first had trouble because 
it wasn't from the Mac App Store nor an "identified developer".  I 
ultimately found "System Preferences" > "Security & Privacy" > "Click 
the lock to make changes" > entered password > AND clicked to "Allow 
apps downloaded from: Anywhere".  Then the install appeared to run and  
proclaimed, "The installation was successful."  However, git is not 
listed under "Applications", and RStudio says, "Git was not detected on 
the system path."

"README.txt" says I need "sudo mv /usr/bin/git /usr/bin/git-system".  I 
tried that and got, "mv: rename /usr/bin/git to /usr/bin/git-system: 
Operation not permitted" (after entering my password).  [My directory 
now includes "/usr/local/git", and "/usr/bin" includes git, 
git-cvsserver, git-receive-pack, git-shell, git-upload-archive, and 
git-upload-pack.]

Suggestions?  Thanks, Spencer Graves