Subject: Re: can't install on OS X

From: Spencer Graves <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2015 08:10:07 -0500

On 10/2/2015 7:02 AM, Mike Rappazzo wrote:
> Looks like you have it installed properly.  The typical usage is from
> the terminal, (try `git --version` to be sure).

a-MacBook-Pro:~ sbgraves$ git --version
xcrun: error: invalid active developer path 
(/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools), missing xcrun at: 
/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin/xcrun

???

> There is also a
> pretty great UI packaged with git called git-gui.  You should be able
> to make a link or an alias to it in your Applications folder (or
> invoke it from the terminal `git gui`).

       How?

       Thanks very much for the reply.

       Spencer Graves
>
> On Fri, Oct 2, 2015 at 2:50 AM, Spencer Graves
> <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> What's the procedure for installing Git under OS X 10.11?
>>
>>
>> I downloaded "git-2.5.3-intel-universal-mavericks.dmg" per instructions.
>> When I tried to install it, I first had trouble because it wasn't from the
>> Mac App Store nor an "identified developer".  I ultimately found "System
>> Preferences" > "Security & Privacy" > "Click the lock to make changes" >
>> entered password > AND clicked to "Allow apps downloaded from: Anywhere".
>> Then the install appeared to run and  proclaimed, "The installation was
>> successful."  However, git is not listed under "Applications", and RStudio
>> says, "Git was not detected on the system path."
>>
>>
>> "README.txt" says I need "sudo mv /usr/bin/git /usr/bin/git-system".  I
>> tried that and got, "mv: rename /usr/bin/git to /usr/bin/git-system:
>> Operation not permitted" (after entering my password).  [My directory now
>> includes "/usr/local/git", and "/usr/bin" includes git, git-cvsserver,
>> git-receive-pack, git-shell, git-upload-archive, and git-upload-pack.]
>>
>>
>> Suggestions?  Thanks, Spencer Graves
>> --
>> To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe git" in
>> the body of a message to [email-masked]
>> More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html