Subject: Re: can't install on OS X

From: Spencer Graves <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2015 14:06:07 -0500

On 10/2/2015 8:41 AM, Stephen Bash wrote:
> ----- Original Message -----
>> From: "Spencer Graves" <[email-masked]>
>> Sent: Friday, October 2, 2015 2:50:30 AM
>> Subject: can't install on OS X
>>
>> I downloaded "git-2.5.3-intel-universal-mavericks.dmg" per
>> instructions.  When I tried to install it, I first had trouble because
>> it wasn't from the Mac App Store nor an "identified developer".
> You can also right click on the installer and select "Open" for a very similar dialog, but one that gives you the opportunity to run the installer anyway.
>
>> "README.txt" says I need "sudo mv /usr/bin/git /usr/bin/git-system".  I
>> tried that and got, "mv: rename /usr/bin/git to /usr/bin/git-system:
>> Operation not permitted" (after entering my password).  [My directory
>> now includes "/usr/local/git", and "/usr/bin" includes git,
>> git-cvsserver, git-receive-pack, git-shell, git-upload-archive, and
>> git-upload-pack.]
>>
>> Suggestions?
> Sounds like you're running afoul of El Capitan's new System Integrity Protection (SIP) [1].  The git commands you're seeing there are probably Apple's thin wrappers that are mostly meant to provide instructions on installing XCode, but SIP is stopping you from modifying the /usr directory (ah, Apple's Infinite Wisdom).  There are discussions about working around SIP in the Apple forums [2] and Homebrew has some hints as well [3].
>
> [1] https://developer.apple.com/library/prerelease/mac/releasenotes/MacOSX/WhatsNewInOSX/Articles/MacOSX10_11.html
> [2] https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/3981
> [3] https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew/blob/master/share/doc/homebrew/El_Capitan_and_Homebrew.md#if-usrlocal-does-not-exist

Thanks.  That helped.  I will summarize here what seemed to work for me 
(skipping the wailing, gnashing of teeth, Apple tech support, etc.):

[step 1] download and install "git-2.5.3-intel-universal-mavericks.dmg" 
as normal, ending with "Install successful".  Confirm that git is still 
not properly installed. Shut down or restart.

[step 2]  Boot into the Recovery partition by holding down <cmd>+R while 
power on and boot.

[step 3] Utilities > Terminal

[step 4] $ scrutil disable

[step 5] Restart normally > Terminal > sudo mv /usr/git /usr/bin/git-system

[step 6] Shut down and reboot into the Recovery partition as above.

[step 7] Utilities > Terminal

[step 8] $ scrutil enable

[step 9] Restart normally ...

*** Git now seems to be installed.  I'm still having trouble getting it 
to work properly with a private GitHub repository.  However, RStudio 
recognizes git, and I've confirmed that /usr/bin includes a subdirectory 
git-system and NOT simply git.  My problems now seem to be GitHub and 
RStudio issues.  Thanks again for your help.  I hope this summary might 
help others.  Spencer Graves

> HTH,
> Stephen