Subject: Re: Git feature request: mark a commit as minor

From: Felipe Micaroni Lalli <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 Oct 2015 03:44:31 -0300

Thank you Jacob.

Actually we already use the keyword MINOR for that, exactly as you said.

The suggestion was made because I think it is a common behavior and it
would be nice to be a meta info to standardize this (today each team
adopt a different pattern for that - you used "TRIVIAL" e.g.). Nice
things could be done with this meta-info. It could be totally ignored
(current git operation) or it could be used to filter, to sort, to group
commits, to show the log pretty etc.

> The issue is that not everyone considers these changes as "minor".

I understand this issue, I know it is subjective. But if someone don't
want to make the distinction just don't use the argument --hide-minor
for example.

On 03/10/2015 03:17, Mikael Magnusson wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 3, 2015 at 8:11 AM, Jacob Keller <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 2, 2015 at 2:38 PM, Felipe Micaroni Lalli
>> <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>> A minor change (also called "cosmetic") usually is a typo fix, doc
>>> improvement, a little code refactoring that don't change the behavior etc.
>>>
>>> In Wikipedia we can mark an edition as "minor".
>>>
>>> It would be nice to have an argument like "--minor" in git-commit to
>>> mark the commit as minor. Also, filter in git-log (like --hide-minor) to
>>> hide the minor changes. The git-log could be optimized to show minor
>>> commits more discreetly.
>>>
>>>
>>
>> This should just be part of the commit message log, generally projects
>> use something like TRIVIAL in the patch subject or similar. You could
>> also standardize for your project(s) what would be considered a minor
>> change. The issue is that not everyone considers these changes as
>> "minor". You should be able to use a combination of the --grep option
>> in log to search for all commits who don't contain that string in the
>> right format.
> 
> Could also be a good use for notes, since you might want to add this
> markup after the fact.
>