Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 38/43] refs: make some files backend functions public

From: Michael Haggerty <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2015 11:03:31 +0200

On 09/29/2015 12:02 AM, David Turner wrote:
> Because HEAD and stash are per-worktree, other backends need to
> go through the files backend to manage these refs and their reflogs.
> 
> To enable this, we make some files backend functions public.

I have a bad feeling about this change.

Naively I would expect a reference backend that cannot handle its own
(e.g.) stash to instantiate internally a files backend object and to
delegate stash-related calls to that object. That way neither class's
interface has to be changed.

Here you are adding a separate interface to the files backend. That
seems like a more complicated and less flexible design. But I'm open to
be persuaded otherwise...

Michael

-- 
Michael Haggerty
[email-masked]