Subject: Alternative to manual editing with git add --patch

From: Sven Helmberger <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2015 17:07:39 +0200

Hello,

I hope this hasn't been discussed before.

I'm a big fan of cleanliness in commits and therefore often use git add
--patch to sort code changes I made into the right commits etc.

What I then often encountered was the situation where I happened to have
inserted consecutive lines of code that conceptually belong to different
commits. Normally I can nicely split patches, but not in this case,
making manually editing the patch the only alternative.

Shouldn't there be at least a way to quickly say line-by-line if you
want to have it added or not?

Personally, I find manually editing just annoying, it seems overly
arcane, but it also prevents me from really recommending "add --patch"
as best practice. I think it's a really good idea for many reasons to do
so, but I can't really tell people already struggling with using git
that I expect them to edit patches manually.

Regards,
Sven Helmberger