Subject: Re: Alternative to manual editing with git add --patch

From: Sven Helmberger <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2015 01:36:32 +0200

Am 14.10.2015 um 19:50 schrieb Junio C Hamano:
> Sven Helmberger <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> As a quick-and-dirty change, you could invent a new variant of
> 's'plit that breaks a N-line hunk into N hunks with 1-line each, but
> obviously that would not be a pleasant-enough UI to be called usable
> when you have a hunk that adds 100 lines.  Perhaps "Split this hunk
> into two by ending the earlier one immediately before the line that
> has this substring" or something might be an idea?
> 

If we go by the style of interaction in git add --patch and git add
--interactive, I think the most canonical solution would be to implement
it like this.

If we know when we can't split the current patch any further ( the point
at which selecting s changes nothing anymore), why shouldn't add --patch
not work similar to add --interactive in that it prints the lines of the
diff prefixed with numbers and the user can define a numerical range to
"split off". Then they decide whether to add those lines or not and
return to the line-numbers until they're trough with the patch.

Regards,
Sven Helmberger