Subject: Re: Why are submodules not automatically handled by default or at least configurable to do so?

From: Nick <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2015 10:50:44 +0000

I too am interested in finding ways to automate working with submodules, 
as it's a particular pain point with my colleagues.  They frequently 
shoot themselves in the foot trying to branch and merge a project with 
submodules, resulting in a broken build and grumpy comments about git 
(or possibly about me, as the "Git Advocate").  And they're right, it is 
awkward.

Whether or not any sensible default configuration exists, users do need 
a way to avoid excessively complicated workflows, or people are just 
going to avoid using submodules, or perhaps Git. Hand-rolled solutions 
might be better than nothing, but I would expect that this is a common 
issue which would benefit from a built-in solution.  For instance, so 
that one can branch and merge the whole project without duplicating the 
work for each submodule.

Am I correct in thinking there isn't anything which does these kind of 
things yet?

Thanks!

Nick