Subject: Re: Why are submodules not automatically handled by default or at least configurable to do so?

From: Nick <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2015 11:40:15 +0000

On 27/10/15 10:56, Davide Fiorentino wrote:
> Why not set alias(es) for that?

That counts as a hand-rolled (i.e. ad-hoc) solution.  So not out of the 
question, but I'd rather point my colleagues at something tried and 
tested, rather than simply re-invent wheels, possibly badly.

I'd be interested if there are some out there I could adopt?

But oh yes, there is another difficulty with aliases.  Eclipse users on 
Windows: they don't tend to love it if you tell them to install Cygwin, 
open a shell and type things into it.  The Eclipse experience is 
somewhat fraught already (e.g. EGit running out of memory cloning 
moderate-sized repos, and other UI difficulties). I'd be surprised if 
defining aliases is going to help their user experience.  I'm 
considering suggesting they switch to to IntelliJ, but that's also 
asking quite a lot of people who may be reluctant to relearn their whole 
workflow again, and I'd need to do the research to ensure this doesn't 
just make things more confusing.

Cheers,

N