Subject: Re: Bug: t5813 failing on Cygwin

From: Ramsay Jones <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2015 13:21:37 +0000

On 08/11/15 05:10, Jeff King wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 07, 2015 at 10:02:45PM +0100, Dennis Kaarsemaker wrote:
> 
>> Looks like lib-proto-disable.sh's fake SSH doesn't strip double leading
>> /'es from the path. Try this patch:
>>
>> diff --git a/t/t5813-proto-disable-ssh.sh b/t/t5813-proto-disable
>> -ssh.sh
>> index ad877d7..a954ead 100755
>> --- a/t/t5813-proto-disable-ssh.sh
>> +++ b/t/t5813-proto-disable-ssh.sh
>> @@ -14,7 +14,7 @@ test_expect_success 'setup repository to clone' '
>>  '
>>  
>>  test_proto "host:path" ssh "remote:repo.git"
>> -test_proto "ssh://" ssh "ssh://remote/$PWD/remote/repo.git"
>> -test_proto "git+ssh://" ssh "git+ssh://remote/$PWD/remote/repo.git"
>> +test_proto "ssh://" ssh "ssh://remote$PWD/remote/repo.git"
>> +test_proto "git+ssh://" ssh "git+ssh://remote$PWD/remote/repo.git"
>>  
>>  test_done
> 
> Good catch. It's a shame that the resulting URL becomes a little less
> readable, but given that the damage is limited to this one test, I think
> we can live with it. Working around it in the fake ssh script would
> probably end up unnecessarily complex.
> 
> We may want to have git itself remove extra slashes from URLs, as Ramsay
> suggested elsewhere, but I would worry about regressions. Let's solve
> this test portability problem by itself, and we can consider the other
> as a separate topic if anybody wants to pursue it.

Yep, this is essentially what I decided to do in a similar situation
back in 2011 (see commit 3a81f33c5).

Until I looked into that bug, I hadn't given any thought to whether
cygwin (let alone git) supported the UNC notation. At that time, I did
spend a little time trying to determine if it worked, but for some
reason I just couldn't get a network share configured properly.
It kept on giving me 'permission denied' errors - even using windows
only commands. :(

Since I have no need for network shares on cygwin, I didn't try too
hard ... I will leave it to people more motivated than me! ;-)

ATB,
Ramsay Jones