Subject: Re: Allow git alias to override existing Git commands

From: Sitaram Chamarty <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 15:21:27 +0530

On 11/11/15 14:58, Jeremy Morton wrote:
> On 11/11/2015 04:48, Sitaram Chamarty wrote:
>> A lot of things in Unix do follow that "give you rope to hang yourself"
>> philosophy.  I used to (and to *some* extent still do) think like that,
>> but some years of supporting normal users trying to do stuff has taught
>> me it's not always that simple.
>>
>> I can easily see someone blogging some cool way to do something, and a
>> less savvy user uses that in his gitconfig, and gets burned later
>> (possibly much later, enough that he does not easily make the
>> connection!)
> 
> We're not talking about "normal users" here, that's what Google Chrome
> is for.  We're talking about Git users using the commandline client.
> They ought to know what they're doing and if they don't, they're
> screwed anyway because there are quite a few gotchas with Git.

I can only repeat what I said before: it's not all black and white.

Reducing the opportunity to make mistakes is useful for everyone, even
expetrs.  Especially stuff that you may have setup aeons ago and hits
you only aeons later when something (supposedly unrelated) somewhere
else changes and you didn't remember and you tear your hair out.

It happens to everyone.  The only experts I know who have never torn
their hair out over something silly they forgot (could be anything) are
the ones who were already bald :)