Subject: Re: [PATCH 13/16] init: allow alternate backends to be set for new repos

From: Michael Haggerty <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2015 10:52:41 +0100

On 12/05/2015 08:44 AM, Jeff King wrote:
> [...]
> I think the config option needs to be extensions.refsBackendType, too,
> per the logic in 00a09d5 (introduce "extensions" form of
> core.repositoryformatversion, 2015-06-23). And I guess it needs to bump
> core.repositoryformatversion to "1".

I think also, strictly speaking, the extensions.refsBackendType option
should be ignored if core.repositoryFormatVersion is not "1". In
practice, it probably makes more sense for the code to error out in that
case because it is likely the result of a bug.

Note that if the user explicitly chooses the "files" backend, it would
be preferable to leave "core.repositoryFormatVersion" at "0" (assuming
that no other extension is being used) and leave
"extensions.refsBackendType" unset. This approach creates a repository
that is compatible with older clients that don't know about
refsBackendTypes.

Michael

-- 
Michael Haggerty
[email-masked]