Subject: Re: [PATCH/RFC v2 0/2] add regex match flags to git describe

From: Mostyn Bramley-Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2015 01:08:43 +0100

On 12/30/2015 10:52 AM, Duy Nguyen wrote:
> What about not using command line options? We could go with something
> like pathspec magic. I think as long as we provide three options:
> literal, some pattern matching and backquote, then the user has enough
> flexibility to specify any set of refs. For pattern matching I'd
> prefer wildmatch. regex can be used via backquote, e.g. `for-each-ref
> | grep ...` (or teach for-each-ref about regex to avoid grep).

I don't think that would solve my immediate problem, unless git 
for-each-ref knew how to produce output in the same order that git 
describe searches.  But perhaps I misunderstand what you're suggesting 
with the backquote/subshell.

-Mostyn.
-- 
Mostyn Bramley-Moore
TV and Connected Devices
Opera Software ASA
[email-masked]