Subject: Re: Pls Support Conservancy: https://sfconservancy.org/supporter/

From: Michael Haggerty <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2016 07:08:28 +0100

On 12/22/2015 05:02 PM, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> [Jeff King, Shawn Pearce and myself represent the Git project to the
> Conservancy, and here is a request for help from us.]
> 
> We apologize that we're interrupting the usual content on this
> mailing list with a fundraising message, but the non-profit home of
> the Git project, Software Freedom Conservancy, is in urgent need of
> your immediate support: https://sfconservancy.org/supporter/

I agree that SFC is a great and worthwhile organization and I also
encourage people who care about free and open-source software to become
supporters.

> Git receives a myriad of important services (see
> https://sfconservancy.org/members/services/ ) from Conservancy.  We
> have relied on Conservancy since 2009 to provide them, and we ask
> that you support them.  While Git gladly contributes 10% of our
> project's gross revenue to Conservancy's general fund, (while
> Conservancy maintains and administers the other 90% in collaboration
> with us to advance the Git project), that 10% of contributions from
> all Conservancy's member projects doesn't add up to enough to even
> employ one full time person, let alone the already overworked staff
> of three that Conservancy has.

Do we have an idea whether the Git project's 10% contribution is
covering its own costs to the SFC? 10% sounds rather low to me, given
the legal and administrative services that they provide.

Let's consider contributing more (e.g., 20%) of the Git project gross
revenue to SFC.

Michael

-- 
Michael Haggerty
[email-masked]