Subject: Re: [PATCH] daemon.c: mark a file-local symbol as static

From: Ramsay Jones <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2016 00:33:23 +0000

On 21/02/16 23:25, Jeff King wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 21, 2016 at 05:33:38PM +0000, Ramsay Jones wrote:
> 
>> If you need to re-roll your 'jk/tighten-alloc' branch, could you
>> please squash this into the relevant patch. (ie. "convert manual
>> allocations to argv_array").
> 
> Thanks, will do. You notice these with sparse, as I recall? I've meant
> to look into running that myself, but it looks like we are not
> warning-free with sparse currently. I see complaints like:
> 
>   connect.c:377:40: warning: incorrect type in argument 2 (invalid types)
>   connect.c:377:40:    expected union __CONST_SOCKADDR_ARG [usertype] __addr
>   connect.c:377:40:    got struct sockaddr *ai_addr
> 
> As far as I can tell, that's just noise. Do you have a ready-made recipe
> for silencing it?

Ah, I think you must be on a very old version of sparse.

I tend to run a (non-released, reasonably) up-to-date version built
directly from the sparse repo at:

    git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/devel/sparse/sparse.git

[You just prompted me to check, I'm running version v0.5.0-30-gca3309e
which is actually a little behind master, which is v0.5.0-44-g40791b9.
This is even further behind the maintainers master branch.]

On Linux, there is a single warning, which results from a hard-coded
value (max size of memcpy et. al., used for the kernel) which should
at least be settable from the command line (I have a patch somewhere
which I have not sent upstream).

On cygwin, currently, there are several other warnings, which can be
silenced by fixups to sparse (again I have some patches ...)

(Also, static-check.pl comes in handy for these types of 'problem'.)

HTH

ATB,
Ramsay Jones