Subject: Re: cover letter and cc list

From: Vineet Gupta <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2016 18:05:15 +0530

On Monday 23 March 2015 01:48 PM, Olaf Hering wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 20, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> 
>>> Olaf Hering <[email-masked]> writes:
>>> 
>>>>> What does it take to send the cover letter to all people which are 
>>>>> listed in the Cc: list of the following patches? Each patch has a 
>>>>> different Cc: list. The "git send-email --help" command suggests
>>>>> that this cmdline should do it. But the cover letter goes just to the
>>>>> address listed in --to=:
>>>>> 
>>>>> env TMPDIR=/dev/shm LC_ALL=C git send-email -M --stat --annotate \ 
>>>>> --cover-letter --cc-cover --to=$address \ $base..$head
>>> 
>>> First step is not to drive format-patch from within send-email I would
>>> think.  Instead prepare them in files in a directory (with format-patch
>>> -o $dir).  You can edit Cc: header in 0000-*.patch message while you
>>> proof-read what you are going to send out.
> Thanks. Then I misinterpreted what --cc-cover actually means. All Cc: lines
> have to be present in the cover letter already. Would be nice if git would
> run a command like this to put the list into the coverletter:
> 
> # git log --format=%b $base..$head | grep -iw ^cc: | sort -u
> 
> In the meantime I will remember to do that step manually.
> 
> Olaf

I have the exact same requirement, to create a union of CC in patches for
cover-letter. That way sending a series to different people gives them the right
context with cover-letter and individual patch.

Now man git send-email mentions --[no-]cc-cover. I quote

"emails found in Cc: headers in the first patch of the series (typically the
cover letter) are added to the cc list for each email set..."

I certainly want the reverse, but the question is how does one get about getting
an address in cover letter in first place.

Thx,
- -Vineet